Friday, September 19, 2008

Learn new things every day!

Did you know that there is actually a difference between Co-sleeping and Bed-sharing? I recently learned that there is!!

While cosleeping is defined as having baby within arms reach of you. (Some will consider co-sleeping just having the baby sleep in the same room.) Bed-Sharing is referring to having the baby sleep in bed with you.

I think when most of us say co-sleeping we mean bed-sharing (at least I do - I had heard the term "family bed" before... but didn't think of it being different than "cosleeping".) and I think a few of you probably co-slept by definition of the word, but didn't realize that's what it was.

As far as attachment parenting goes though, co-sleeping is baby sleeping within arms reach so if you did that you were practicing that area of attachment parenting and reaping the benefits suggested in doing so

IMHO, The best sleeping arrangement is the one where everyone gets the best sleep possible (safely) so that may mean baby in another room for some, but I think usually a parent will sleep best knowing baby is close by, especially in those early months.

No comments: