Saturday, July 11, 2009

ASL update...


Since it's been a while since I've mentioned our exciting journey of teaching KB to sign.... I figured we were do for an update. - Yup! We're still at it! :-) I was really starting to wonder what was going to happen with her signs, now that she is starting to talk more.... But even though her vocabulary is expanding tremendously, becoming more understandable by the day... I am glad to report her signs are not being forgotten! She interchangeably goes between signing and speaking - depending on the word, and which format she knows better - and often will be seen using both at the same time! ~ It's adorable! (and impressive, I've been told! ;-)

Words she consistently signs now, are : ball, hat, please, thank you, up, down, potty, all done, more, hot, eat, drink, water, milk, book, sleep, again, sorry, I love you...

And her new ones: cat, work and rain...

Signs she understands, but doesn't use herself (ie, I use them to communicate with her) are: eyes, come, no, stop, sit, quiet, bath, careful, gentle, diaper, change, hungry, hurt, understand, pray, cup & various food words...

And words we are currently working on (though we are always adding to this list) are: dog, fish, baby, juice, dolphin, music, share, doll, cereal, yogurt, & cold.

ASL PRO still continues to be what's probably my favorite resources for signs... but I have also been enjoying this new one I've discovered - created by a mom/ASL teacher, and made specifically for teaching babies/children - My Smart Hands!

No comments: