Friday, July 31, 2009

Of snacktimes, butter balls, & Kung Fu...

As I mentioned in my previous post, this past week our church had their VBS! Knowing that this crazy, attached, "health-nut" mama wouldn't put her baby girl into the nursery, just to go off and teach other people's kids... I was assigned as one of the assistants in the 2, 3, 4, & 5 year old class - in which they allowed KB to participate, even though she won't be two for another two weeks. So I stuck her in the Ergo, during times we were walking to and from, or during times I needed her to sit still... and off we went.
In our class alone, we averaged about 30 kids each night (give or take)... and it was crazy, energetic fun!! We had songs, games, stories, puppets, crafts, and (the source of frustration)... a snack. Now, someone please explain the logic behind feeding a bunch of pre-k aged children a sugar-laden snack (cookies), and then be bewildered at why they won't still and listen... getting frustrated with them when you have no control, because they don't/can't?!? I just don't get it. And while I appreciate the drink of choice not being Kool-aid, like they gave the older kids - although merely out of mess-control, not health reasons (arg) - Cookies? Really? And not just one... but two or three? Again, I just don't get it.

So what was this conscious mommy's alternative? Nut butter balls! OMW, these are SO good... and believe it or not, pretty good for you! The combination of nut butter & the cocoa powder - yeah, these could definitely be addicting!

Cookies on Plate


Making refrigerator cookies

Recipe:
  • 2 1/2 cup Oats
  • 1 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter, but would love to try almond butter next time)
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground (Though ours had way more, do to an overly zealous toddler "helping" - oh well - flax are SUPER good for you!!
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey (I did honey)
  • 1/2 cup dried coconut (I did less, do to taste preferences & the already excess amount of flax)
  • 2 T carob powder (I'll admit, I used cocoa powder - lol!)

  • Optional: 1/8 cup dates or raisins, chopped. (used raisins, unchopped - personally that was too many for my liking.)
  • Optional: 1/8 C Cacao nibs or carob chips.

Mixing cookie dough

Mix together until combined well... then dig in - rolling the batter into balls with your hands. (You may need to wash your hands after a few, as sticky hands make it very hard to roll them.) Refrigerate, and they are good to go. One butter ball makes an awesome, quick on-the-go snack!

- Made a TON of balls (like, 3-3½ doz?)!! -

Cookies

Recipe & cookie pix courtesy of: Nature Moms Blog

No comments: