So what was this conscious mommy's alternative? Nut butter balls! OMW, these are SO good... and believe it or not, pretty good for you! The combination of nut butter & the cocoa powder - yeah, these could definitely be addicting!
- 2 1/2 cup Oats
- 1 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter, but would love to try almond butter next time)
- 1/2 cup flax seeds, ground (Though ours had way more, do to an overly zealous toddler "helping" - oh well - flax are SUPER good for you!!
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey (I did honey)
- 1/2 cup dried coconut (I did less, do to taste preferences & the already excess amount of flax)
- 2 T carob powder (I'll admit, I used cocoa powder - lol!)
- Optional: 1/8 cup dates or raisins, chopped. (used raisins, unchopped - personally that was too many for my liking.)
- Optional: 1/8 C Cacao nibs or carob chips.
Mix together until combined well... then dig in - rolling the batter into balls with your hands. (You may need to wash your hands after a few, as sticky hands make it very hard to roll them.) Refrigerate, and they are good to go. One butter ball makes an awesome, quick on-the-go snack!