Saturday, December 19, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

These delectable Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls (or Buckeyes, as some call them) are one of my favorite sweet treats. (esp. for the Christmas season!)

They are fairly easy to make..... don't call for any wax or other strange ingredients....  and are oh.so.delicioso!!!   Enjoy! :)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

INGREDIENTS:


  • 2 Tbs butter (I suggest melting it, it mixes best  --  I have also used [coconut] oil, when I was out of butter, and it worked just fine.)
  • 3/4 cup of peanut butter
  • approx 2 cups of confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple extract (I didn't have this, so I just doubled the vanilla)
  • Salt, to taste (this was my own addition to the recipe. I find it helps cut the super-sweetness, and gives them  more of a Reese's flavor! -- I like about 1 1/2 tsp)1
  • 1/2-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (original recipe only calls for a cup, but I always find I need more)
DIRECTIONS:
  1.  Combine the butter, peanut butter, confectioner's sugar, salt and extract(s).  Mix well.


    (you'll find it has a crumbly look when mixed -
    but it should be able to hold together when rolled into balls)

  2. Roll the mixture into smooth balls and place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet


  3.  Freeze until firm.



    (Hmm.. seems I didn't get any pictures after this point...)


  4.  Melt the chocolate over low heat 
  5. Dip peanut butter balls into melted chocolate - using a spoon coat all sides
  6. Return to wax paper lined cookie sheet
     
  7. Refrigerate overnight (or freeze, until chocolate is set)
Yields approx 50 small balls

No comments: