Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thirty Days of Thanx :: Day 20

Today I am thankful for physical growth.

I just measured KB... and she's grown more than 3" in the last 3 months!!!
She is now 34-ish lbs and 38 1/4 inches tall!
~ Perfect!!! ~

KB was always tiny for her age. Even though she was 8lbs 7oz (easily in the 75-90 percentile, weight for age) at birth.... and 10lbs 12oz at 6 weeks... by the time she was 3 months old, her weight started slowing down dramatically,  putting her only in the 25th percentile at 3 mos... and eventually (weighing less than 12lbs 8 oz at 6 mos, 13lbs 4oz at 7 mos) dropped down to the 5th-10th percentile, where she held steady up to her first birthday. She wasn't losing weight - she gained approx 13oz every two months - she just wasn't gaining fast/alot.  Of course the doctor was unhappy about this... and constantly wanted to do weight checks on her.  But I knew she was fine. After-all, she gained fairly steadily, her length was right on track, and developmentally she exceeded her milestones  And in perspective, I was *super tiny* as a baby (I only weighed 15lbs at one year), and so was my dad... and she was exclusively breastfed - so her weight was going to vary, compared to a formula fed baby, of which those charts are based. ~ Seriously!~ Let's just say... esp after today's check - which put her at approx the 62nd percentile for both - I am so glad I followed my instincts! :)

See doctor... I **told** you so!! ;)