But seriously... if you are battling any kind of cold or sickness, feel like you're getting sick, or just are just concerned about getting sick.... you really should try this! It's sweet and tangy, and actually surprisingly good! It serves as an expectorant... the honey & lemon are amazing for soothing a sore throat.... and the garlic (which is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal) packs a powerful punch as it stimulates the immune system!
This recipe was passed on to me by my friend, Andrea... and appears to be featured in several of Aviva Jill Romm's books! And After using it during a severe bought of tonsillitis, as well as just a common-cold.... let me tell you, it WORKS!!
What you'll need:
- 1 Quart-sized jar
- Boiling Water
- 3-4 Medium cloves of Garlic, chopped (the last time I made it, I did 6 small cloves)
- Approx ½ cup Lemon juice - give or take for personal preference
(though fresh is preferable - as it contains the most enzymes and vit.C - I didn't have it available... So I used about a half cup of store-bought lemon juice in mine)
- Honey (or Maple Syrup), to taste
(do NOT use sugar, as it is an immune suppressant)
- (optional: a chunk of peeled ginger)
When I'm really fighting something, I try to drink at least two or three batches of this/a day - On top of supplementing with extra Vitamin C, Garlic, homemade bone broth, Elderberry, Vit. D (sunshine!), Cod-liver Oil, etc.. !
- Place garlic (and ginger, if you are using) into a quart-sized jar
(I chopped my cloves, for added oomph!)
- Fill jar with boiling water.
- Steep for at least 20 mins
- Strain out Garlic (I actually didn't do this).
- Add lemon juice & honey
A note: I have found that this is preferable if drank either hot or cold - *not* at room temperature. If needed, reheat on the stove... by boiling the jar in hot water. Do NOT microwave!
**Pic courtesy of: http://www.nutribuff.com/**