Sunday, September 28, 2008

My New-Week Resolution...

One typically uses New Years to make advantageous commitments about lifestyle choices, the reforming of habits, etc. But since New Years in another 4 months off, yet... I am going to make a New-Week resolution....

Taming the tongue...

Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred. ~ Job 6:24

The tongue is a powerful tool which can be used to greatly bless, or completely ravage those we love most. Yet despite it's power, many never learn to control it. I have come to realize that interrupting is an area of controlling the tongue where I really struggle.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. ~Dorothy Nevill

We've all been there - it's super annoying. You're in the middle of talking, sharing a thought.... when all of the sudden someone interrupts you. And while their input maybe good and/or relevant to the conversation, you wonder... couldn't they have waited until I was done?

A wise person once said "Foolishness always results when the tongue outraces the brain."

We must remember our tongues [words] display who we are…..the true us… our character. Words build our reputation, and prestige.... they are a window into our souls.

The difference between a smart man and a wise man is that a smart man knows what to say, a wise man knows whether or not to say it. ~Frank M. Garafola

So my resolution... ask the Lord daily, to help me tame my tongue.

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips" ~ Psalm 141:3

No comments: