Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What did you say?

"Watch what you say: for you never know who is listening."

I know, I know... it's one thing to say... it's another, to actually do. Matter of fact, it's can even be quite easy to emulate & adhere to, when you are out & about under other people's watchful eye.... But what about when you're at home? It is said: "Character is what we do when no one is watching." - Do your attitudes & character differ between one or the other, just because "no one" is watching? Do you treat your children, spouse, parents, siblings with the same respect at home as you do when you're not. Just something to think about....

Today I had this lesson happen to me first hand....
and boy what a wakeup call that was!
As KB and I settle in to eat lunch, I suddenly notice my phone's display blinking. "That's odd!" I think to myself.... so I set in to do some investigative work. Then it hits me! about 5 mins 7 secs previous, KB had been holding my phone... and in pressing buttons, apparently called someone in my contacts. Then I started thinking... what did that person hear in those 5+ mins? Sometime in there, may have been when KB was begging me a bite of lunch.... as I tried to stall her until the food cooled down, did I let myself get at all irritated towards her? Did B ask me anything during that time? How was my attitude with him? Wow.... though I know the person on the other line is a very understanding & forgiving person (thankfully!)... the sudden realization of what was & (even worse), could have been heard, was very humbling...

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." ~ Psalms 19:14

No comments: