Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Apple Crumble

Well tonight I had one of my first attempts at making a wheat-free dessert.... an warm, Apple Crumble!! Though it's not the healthiest dessert... it was amazingly delicious! And surprisingly, I actually had everything the recipe called for (or was able to adapt).... and was SO pleased with it's results. I will definitely make this one again!! Oh.my.word! Talk about tasty!

APPLE CRUMBLE:
    6 large apple - peeled, cored and cubed (I left mine unpeeled)
  1. 1 tablespoon white sugar (I substituted rapadura... and used more like 2 Tbs, so it coated the apples well!)
  2. 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I wanted a bolder flavor, so I used more like ½ tsp)
    CRUMBLE TOPPING



    1. 1/4 cup rice flour (I used oat flour - rolled oats in the coffee grinder. about 1/8 cup whole oats = about ¼ cup flour.)
    2. 3 tablespoons almond meal
    3. 2 tablespoons white sugar (again, I used rapadura)
    4. 2 tablespoons flaked coconut (Omitted this - worked fine!!)
    5. 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened or coconut oil




    DIRECTIONS



    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Arrange apple pieces in baking dish, sprinkle with sugar, and cinnamon; toss well.
    2. In a bowl, combine the rice flour, almond meal, sugar, and coconut. Cut in butter until mixture is fine and crumbly. Sprinkle topping over apples.
    3. Cover, and bake for 40 mins to 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the apples have lost their shape. Uncover, and continue to bake until crumble is crisp and golden in color.

No comments: