Thursday, July 24, 2008

Multi-Racial dolls...

Someone recently asked the question: "Does/will anybody have dolls of other races for their LO's to play with? We don't want our DD to just have "white" dolls and toys. We want her to be exposed to different races and have multi-racial toys too. I grew up in a very multi-cultural city and want the same for her."
Here is my response...

Growing up, I know we had at least one black doll that someone gave us, and my sister LOVED it! However, I don't think having dolls of other races, really either helps nor hurts the racist issue. Personally, I wouldn't set out to specifically buy a muti-racial doll for KB.... if a doll was gifted to us, I would definitely let her have it, and use it as an opportunity (when she gets older) to talk about the blessing of adoption. On racism.... I believe the best way to teach a child to get along with all races, is to expose them to people of other races from a young age, without making it into a big deal. (for example, we have a few families in our church who are from Haiti... and one of them have an almost 2yo little girl who loves KB!) On the flip side, however.... while I have no problem talking to, interacting with, or having friendships with people of other races... I do believe there is a line as to what extent races should unify, marry or reproduce. I do not & will not judge other people who are in or the product of a bi-racial relationship, but personally would not enter into one, nor encourage my daughter in that direction, either.

No comments: