- 6 cups Broth (I use Chicken broth, or water w/ bouillon)
- 1 1/2 cups Lentils
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chopped Onion (alternative: 1/2 cup of dried minced onion)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (omit if using a salted broth, or the bouillon method)
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder (though I always add more!!)
- Grated/chopped (or frozen) vegetables of your choice (optional)
I've used zucchini, carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, squash, etc...
- Approx 2 cups Cheddar cheese (optional)Instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 300-325 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Mix first eight ingredients together in a 9x13 pan
- Cover & Bake for 2 - 21/2 hours
- During the last 45 minutes of bake time, stir in your grated veggies
- During the last few minutes, top with cheese, if desired
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Lentil Rice Casserole
This easy, healthy & delicious dish has become a family favorite... and always seems to disappear quickly, any time it is served. -- It could also be easily converted into a vegetarian dish, if wanted! Enjoy!!