Monday, May 3, 2010

Birthday Cake!!!

Finally....my birthday cake - fresh from the oven!!

 

I know, I know... it's 12:15 at night...  my birthday is pretty much over.... so what it the WORLD am I doing baking a cake, now?!  Well, first of all, I  want to mention, that I wasn't even born until 9:30-something.... so technically, my birthday has only just begun (lol!) -- But seriously, all joking aside, it's because I am tyring a new (healthy) cake recipe, which calls for soaked grains!!

If you are not familiar with the concept of soaking grains., you can read some more about it here.  But put very simply....  grains contain something called phytic acid, which is very difficult for your body to digest.  By soaking grains  for 12-24 hours using an acidic medim - like yogurt, kefir, lemon juice or ACV - prior to baking/cooking, neutralizes the phytates, and makes the grains more easily digestible - and the nutrients more readily available to your body! 
This is one of my first experiences with soaking grains...  so I am really excited to see how it turns out!. :)   Of course, I am going to change up the original recipe just a tad, so it's wheat free (which makes me a little nervous)... but I am thrilled to finally find a whole grain cake recipe, that not only use whole, unfractionated, unadulterated, natural food ingredients... but is chocolate!!! :-)  

Depending on it's success - I will try to post the recipe, at some point.... :-)

No comments: