Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crockpot Lasagna: Kale!

Photo courtesy of


Today I wanted to make my ever so easy "Crockpot Lasagna"...  but with all it's cheese and carbs, I felt it was seriously lacking in something important.... nutrient rich greens.  Since I had some Kale left over from the Potato Leek Soup I made the other night...  I decided to add it, and see how it went.  Hey, why not....  I've added spinach in my lasagna for years (and I'll bet you have, too)...  so why not use this similarly mild-tasting, and oh.so.good.for.you, dark leafy green?!  High in fiber, Vitamin A (b/c of it's concentrated beta-carotene conten), Vitamin C, and Vitamin K..  as well as a decent amounts of calcium, copper, vitamin B6, iron, and potassium.  It only makes sense to use up this nutrient dense, super food... right? :)  So, I took several bunches, removed the thick stems, and chopped it into small-ish pieces.  Incorporated it into my cheese mixture, and added cheese mixture just like the recipe called!  It turned out deee-licious!  Definitely something I will do again!

No comments: