Cook Time: Approx 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil (I use avocado or coconut)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, chopped (I've used dried celery flakes instead)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or more... more garlic is always better!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and curry powder and cook until fragrant - about 1 minute more.
- Add 7 cups of water and lentils.
Bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potato are just tender
(about 15 minutes.)
- Add green beans
- Add diced tomatoes
- Cook until warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add cilantro (if desired) and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream
My meat-loving husband loves this dish. It's very filling and quite delicious!